Expert Advice Community

Asset inventory

Guest user Created:   Oct 06, 2021 Last commented:   Oct 06, 2021

Asset inventory

Hi! I'm a customer with you at the moment. I bought the ISO 27001 template package. One quick question: Should the Asset Inventory spreadsheet and the Risk Assessment spreadsheet always reflect each other? I mean should they always have the exact same assets? Currently, in my Asset Inventory, I have a "Dell XPS17" and a "Dell XPS15" but in my Risk Assessment I just wrote "company-owned laptops". Does it make any difference?
0 0

Assign topic to the user

ISO 27001 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

ISO 27001 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Rhand Leal Oct 06, 2021

The Asset Inventory spreadsheet and the Risk Assessment spreadsheet do not need to be exactly the same as long as you can relate the information between them, like the way you exemplified.

Typically, Asset inventory (especially for mid-sized and larger companies) will be more detailed than the list of assets in the risk assessment. In case you have assets with similar risks you can add a category to group them to make the risk assessment easier. For example, instead of identifying each laptop individually, you can define a group called "company-owned laptops" and assign it to the laptop models included I your asset inventory.

For smaller companies it makes no sense to have Asset Inventory since all the assets are already recorded in the Risk assessment.

This article will provide you a further explanation about asset register:
- How to handle Asset register (Asset inventory) according to ISO 27001 https://advisera.com/27001academy/knowledgebase/how-to-handle-asset-register-asset-inventory-according-to-iso-27001/

0 0

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Oct 06, 2021

Oct 06, 2021

Suggested Topics

Guest user Created:   Sep 16, 2022 ISO 27001 & 22301
Replies: 1
0 0

Asset inventory

Guest user Created:   Jul 21, 2022 ISO 27001 & 22301
Replies: 1