Expert Advice Community

Asset management

Guest user Created:   Jan 12, 2016 Last commented:   Jan 12, 2016

Asset management

Concerning my query on Asset Management
0 0

Assign topic to the user

ISO 27001 INCIDENT MANAGEMENT PROCEDURE

The basics of detection and response to security incidents.

ISO 27001 INCIDENT MANAGEMENT PROCEDURE

The basics of detection and response to security incidents.

AntonioS Jan 12, 2016

a.- Do we have to list assets that contains information only?

b.- I understand ISMS is about Information Security, but in our asset list we have listed equipment such as UPS, Generator, Cooling system etc.  Is that OK?

c.- And since we have listed these items in our asset register, it’s also included in our risk register

d.- Our risk methodology is asset based ( from version 2005 ) . Now in 2013, we know that there’s a flexibility, but we are still keeping it asset based. However can we include other risks that is not derived from Assets – threats/vulnerabilities?

Answer:

a.- No, if you have chosen to follow the asset-based risk assessment then you have to list both the assets that contain the information (e.g. CD-s, computers, etc.) and the assets that do not contain the information but can influence the security of information (e.g. air conditioning in the server room). 

b.- Yes, you can identify these assets, because they are related to the maintenance of the information systems (U PS, generator, etc), which are related to the information security. 

c.-  Ok, right whichever list is created first, it will serve for developing the other list. 

d.- In principle, if the risk is related to the information security, yes, you can include it in your risk assessment. Also you can maintain your Risk methodology asset based. Anyway, I recommend you this article “What has changed in risk assessment  in ISO 27001:2013”: https://advisera.com/27001academy/knowledgebase/what-has-changed-in-risk-assessment-in-iso-270012013/

Finally, if you need more information about how to identify assets, I recommend you this article “How to handle Asset register (Asset inventory) according to ISO 27001” https://advisera.com/27001academy/knowledgebase/how-to-handle-asset-register-asset-inventory-according-to-iso-27001/

0 0

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Jan 12, 2016

Jan 12, 2016

Suggested Topics