Expert Advice Community

Lawful grounds for processing employee biometric data

Guest user Created:   Sep 12, 2018 Last commented:   Sep 12, 2018

Lawful grounds for processing employee biometric data

I am struggling with selecting and documenting a lawful basis for a special category of data that we capture. Your advice/input would be greatly appreciated. We have a clock in / clock out system that uses fingerprint recognition. This is linked to the payroll system. This system has been in operation for years so was introduced before GDPR. As this is biometric data and is classified as special data it needs a lawful basis for processing under article 6 and article 9 (2). However the more I read about biometrics in the workplace the more of a grey area is seems to be. The lawful basis for capturing special data (Article 9 (2)) seems difficult to pinpoint to biometrics in the workplace. Consent does not seem to be an option as employees have the right to object and would need an alternative method to fingerprint log in. Another lawful basis would need to be selected but I do not see the other options covering this. Perhaps 9 (2) (b) suits the best "obligations and to exercise your rights or our rights under employment law, social security and social protection law;" but again I am unsure. Any assistance/clarity you could give on this would be of great help.
0 0

Assign topic to the user

EU GDPR DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

EU GDPR DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Andrei Hanganu Sep 12, 2018

Answer:

Unfortunately there is nothing, as far as I know, under employment law to justify the use of biometrics for clock in/clock out systems. This means that legal obligation cannot be used as a lawful ground for processing. Consent is out of the question as well because consent obtained from employees may be considered as not being freely given.

This leaves you with legitimate interest. This lawful ground for processing can only be used if your interest overrides the individual's right. In this case a legitimate interest assessment would need to be performed. In your specific case you would basically need to prove that there is no other less intrusive way to monitor the time employees come in and leave work than the use of fingerprints.

0 0
harkin81 Sep 12, 2018

Sorry Andrei, one follow up question. I was looking into Legitimate Interest Assessment (LIA) and found the following on the ICO website "As your LIA determines if the legitimate interests basis applies, you must perform it before you start processing the data. You cannot start processing the data then retrospectively try and apply legitimate interests. Your processing is unlawful without a lawful basis, and this will lead to inevitable breaches of transparency and accountability requirements." We have had the fingerprint recognition clock in/out for a few years now. Well before GDPR laws. Can we still do a LIA even though we have already captured and stored employee's fingerprints? New employees details can be added at anytime so would this still cover us doing the LIA?

0 0
Expert
Andrei Hanganu Sep 13, 2018

1. Yes, doing LIA should not be a huge issue especially since this may be closely linked with the GDPR provisions. Just make sure that besides the LIA you would need to amend your Employees Privacy Notice to reflect the processing of biometric data for the purpose of time management.

2. As song as you use the same biometrics for the new employees, it should be fine to add new employees details at anytime. If you would change to face recognition or iris scan, than the LIA would need to be performed again and your Employee Privacy Notice would need to be updated as well.

0 0
mvanh Sep 28, 2018

What if one of our employees doesn't want to sign the Employee Privacy Notice?

0 0
Expert
Andrei Hanganu Sep 28, 2018

There is no need for the employees to sign the Privacy Notices, it is enough for you to send an email with the Privacy Notice enclosed or provide a link to the Privacy Notice. It would also be advisable for you to publish the Privacy Notice on your intranet page to be available to all employees.

0 0

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Sep 12, 2018

Sep 28, 2018

Suggested Topics

Guest user Created:   Aug 23, 2019 EU GDPR
Replies: 1
0 0

GDPR and data processing

Guest user Created:   Feb 23, 2023 EU GDPR
Replies: 1