Expert Advice Community

Videos and names

Guest user Created:   Aug 06, 2021 Last commented:   Aug 08, 2021

Videos and names

Hi there Dejan, I just have a quick question. I recorded videos of my zoom teaching and I always had verbal consent of my students, since the video only shows me, nobody or nothing else. I do say the first name of my students though, when I correct them. Now since I am teaching a lot less online again I have been asked to put up a youtube channel. I initially didn't think I would ever use the recordings to more than just for my own analyzing process. But now I was wondering, is it a data right conflict if I say people's first name in the videos and would upload them publicly? They do not talk and most of them I could probably contact and ask if they're ok with it. Just in case I miss a name somewhere of someone I didn't ask, and I repeat I did never mention the last name nor are they seen anywhere, nor do I say anything but a correction to them, would this be considered a violation of data/personal rights already? Thank you so much in advance. I am sure you usually have other clients. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
0 1

Assign topic to the user

EU GDPR DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

EU GDPR DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Alessandra Nisticò Aug 08, 2021

EU GDPR requires the data controller when processing personal data (i.e., the names of participants to a Zoom lesson) to inform the data subjects about the use of personal data. If the data controller aims to modify and add some further use (i.e., publishing the video on Youtube) it shall inform the data subjects and require their consent. Of course, it is needed to have consent from the students mentioned.Another solution can be to anonymize the video by editing the lesson and removing the name of the student. In that case, being only your voice the video may be published.

Here you can find more information about consent:

If you need to understand how to comply with the EU GDPR and manage consent you can consider enrolling in our EU GDPR Foundations Course: https://advisera.com/training/eu-gdpr-foundations-course/

0 1

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Aug 06, 2021

Aug 08, 2021

Suggested Topics