Expert Advice Community

Root cause analysis help needed!

Created:   Sep 20, 2022 Last commented:   Sep 20, 2022

Root cause analysis help needed!

We received a finding: 7.5.3 in AS9100. No process to document minor changes to a procedure.

I need help writing my 5 why's to show cause and effect. Background: we had an external finding because we did not have a process for making minor changes to controlled procedures within our main doc control procedure. However, we do use an uncontrolled WI and log for the process and recording of changes. Yet, we failed to include this information in our doc control procedure.

can you give me a good example of an effective 5 why's in this case that shows both cause and effect?

0 0

Assign topic to the user

AS9100 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

AS9100 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Mark Hammar Sep 20, 2022

Since I have no view into what has actually happened in your implementation it is not really possible for me to do a 5 Why analysis, even as an example. For instance, apart from identifying that the starting problem is that you “did not have a process for making minor changes to controlled procedures”, I do not know the cause of this. Is it because you didn’t think it was needed? Is it because you didn’t think this process needed to be controlled? Did you think uncontrolled work instruction was acceptable?

As you can see, without knowing your full details I cannot really give you a 5Why analysis. I can only point out that the process you need to go through from your initial statement is identifying why this problem happened. Then you ask why that cause happened and proceed until you get to the root cause of the problem; the purpose of which is to do something about that root cause to prevent the issue from happening again.

You can learn more about how corrective action works in the aerospace QMS in the article:

0 1

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Sep 20, 2022

Sep 20, 2022

Suggested Topics

Guest user Created:   Dec 01, 2018 AS9100
Replies: 1
0 0

AS9100 Root Cause & CA

Guest user Created:   Mar 16, 2018 AS9100
Replies: 1