Please provide me following information:
1) Is person signing HSE policy accountable for Health and safety issues even though responsibility is handled by Health & safety Mnager.
2) Who are generally appointed as board level champion for health and safety issues in organisation. Can Manager - HSE can be called as board level champion for health and safety issues in a manufacturing industry (around 350 employees).
3) Is it mandatory that board board level champion for health and safety is competent in health and safety profile.
4) What is the main function of board level champion for health and safety in organisation.
5) What is the main function of management representative health and safety in organisation.
5) Can board level board level champion for health and safety and management representative be same person.
Please guide me.
As a general answer to all of your questions, the ISO 45001:2018 standard does not require a board level champion to be assigned for the OHSMS, so the answers to your questions are largely to be determined by your own organization unless you have any specific legal or other requirements that dictates this appointment. Below are the linkages between your questions and the ISO 45001 standard for further consideration.
1) The OH&S policy (clause 5.2) is to be created and implemented by top management. It is the top managements responsibility to ensure that it is communicated through the organization and understood. As per clause 5.1 top management is also responsible for a list of items for the OHSMS, including overall responsibility and accountability for the prevention of injury as well as OH&S activities. This is not directed at one individual, but the entire top management.
2) If you are to have a board level campion, this is up to you as ISO 45001 does not mention this. If the HSE manager is on the board, they could fulfil this role.
3) This is probably a good idea, but again as the board level champion is not dictated in ISO 45001 these decisions are up to you.
4) This is not included in ISO 45001, you can define it for yourself.
5) The ISO 45001 standard does not require an OH&S management representative, but in clause 5.3 there are a list or responsibilities and authorities that need to be assigned for the OHSMS. These could be fulfilled by one person who is the management representative.
6) Again, as these roles are not included in ISO 45001, you can make the decision of this being the same person if you wish.
This is with respect to OHSAS 18001: 1) Is it mandatory to appoint board level member for EHS as per OHSAS 18001. 2) Does organisations require performance indicators and performance monitoring as per OHSAS. 3) Does OHSAS requires as a mandatory requirement for Safety leadership training for senior leaders. 4) As of today, how long companies can continue with OHSAS 18001 certification. 5) Can organisation apply for fresh OHSAS 18001 certification? 6) Is it mandatory as per OHSAS to have integrated EHS responsibilities and metrics into the performance review process for managers and supervisors.