Answer: To start the implementation of an ISMS complaint with ISO 27001, you should consider these steps:
1) getting management buy-in for the project;
2) defining ISMS basic framework (e.g., scope, objectives, organizational structure), by understanding organizational context and requirements of interested parties;
3) development of risk assessment and treatment methodology;
4) perform risk assessment and define risk treatment plan;
5) controls implementation (e.g., policies and procedures documentation, acquisitions, etc.);
6) people training and awareness;
7) controls operation;
8 performance monitoring and measurement;
9) perform internal audit;
10) perform management critical review; and
11) address nonconformities, corrective actions and opportunities for improvement.
Regarding implementation approaches, the most common are:
- Use you own staff to implement the ISMS
- Use a consultant to perform most of the effort to implement the ISMS
- Use a consultant only to support the staff on specific issues, leaving the organization's staff with most of the implementation effort.