Get 2 Documentation Toolkits for the price of 1
Limited-time offer – ends March 28, 2024

Expert Advice Community

ISO 9001 warehousing requirements

Guest user Created:   Feb 07, 2018 Last commented:   Feb 09, 2018

ISO 9001 warehousing requirements

The company I work for is ISO 9001 certified through 2017 at least. I assume that the current certification includes all our warehouses and facilities but I am checking. My boss has asked me to look at a possible audit of the regional warehouse (HUB) in preparation, I assume, for getting certified for this year. The warehouse operations are as most. We receive, pick, pack, store and ship. When I look at the audit checklist it has very little that is applicable to warehouse operations. When I look at a Quality Manual or system again I find that there is a lot of data included but not warehouse related. How do I go about answering my boss?
0 1

Assign topic to the user

ISO 9001 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

ISO 9001 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Strahinja Stojanovic Feb 07, 2018

Answer:

The first thing you should do is to check the scope of your QMS (Quality Management System) and see if warehouses are included in the scope. The scope is usually documented in Quality Manual (for ISO 9001:2008) or in separate document (for ISO 9001:2015). If the warehouses are not included in the scope, you don't need to conduct internal audit in them. If you want to include new warehouse in the scope, you need to document that information as well.

ISO 9001 doesn't have some explicit requirements for warehousing, basically clause 8.5.4 Preservation deals with the warehousing in some sense by stating that the outputs of production or service provision must be preserved in order to ensure their conformance to the requirements. If the products you store in the warehouse do not require some special warehousing conditions (e.g. temperature regime, humidity, etc.), then some excessive information on the warehousing process are not really necessary. This means that the foundation for your audit of the warehousing process will be the organization's warehousing procedure. During the audit you can also determine whether the existing level of documentation is sufficient for effective warehousing process.

For more information, see: How to use the ISO 9001 standard to improve stock efficiency and increase profit https://advisera.com/9001academy/blog/2016/11/08/how-to-use-the-iso-9001-standard-to-improve-stock-efficiency-and-increase-profit/

0 0
charlesearly Feb 09, 2018

Still unclear on the scope of a hub in that regard (other than what is mentioned – procedural). I don't know how you can have a ISO audit on a Hub only without it being a Supply wide audit since many of the requirements and interfaces come from outside the hub. Will be interested to hear your input.

0 0
Expert
Strahinja Stojanovic Feb 12, 2018

You can audit only parts of the system during the individual internal audit. In that sense you can audit the hub against the applicable requirements of the standard and QMS documentation and that is all. If the findings of the audits are insufficient, you can later expand the scope of the audit.

0 1

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Feb 07, 2018

Feb 12, 2018

Suggested Topics

Guest user Created:   Sep 21, 2018 ISO 9001
Replies: 1
0 0

Planning ISO 9001 Implementation

Guest user Created:   Feb 22, 2016 ISO 9001
Replies: 1