Expert Advice Community

ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation timeline

Guest user Created:   May 27, 2020 Last commented:   May 28, 2020

ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation timeline

We are vetting an opportunity to expand our lab for Heavy Metal testing and pathogen testing (salmonella). What type of timeline would you suggest after a lab is fully operational including ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation? Best guess in getting a lab certification set up? I’m assuming some amount of time before lab is operational to get application data submitted and then some amount of time after lab is operational to validate procedures, processes, etc. and then finally third party validation. Is this a fair assessment? Any help would be much appreciated. Other recommendations? I noticed that the site mentions familiarity training. Are you all an approved certified body for ISO17025 audits?
0 0

Assign topic to the user

ISO 17025 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

ISO 17025 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Tracey Evans May 28, 2020

We are vetting an opportunity to expand our lab for Heavy Metal testing and pathogen testing (salmonella). What type of timeline would you suggest after a lab is fully operational including ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation?   Best guess in getting a lab certification set up? I’m assuming some amount of time before lab is operational to get application data submitted and then some amount of time after the lab is operational to validate procedures, processes, etc. and then finally third party validation. Is this a fair assessment?

I would not be able to accurately predict a timeframe. This will depend on your situation and resources. Processes, including technical competencies for people and equipment need to be established; validations and calibrations performed; procurement of materials made, including reference materials; and enrolment and participation in an interlaboratory proficiency scheme need to be complete. If all is available and implementation is efficient, typically it would take a minimum of 3 months to implement and then on the application for accreditation, it is typically another 3 months at least before assessment.

Accreditation assessment starts with a document review by the accreditation body, so it may be possible to complete certain activities, such a complete your audit program, and perhaps management review between applying and the initial assessment.

The effective implementation of an ISO 17025 provides the grounding to achieve consistency. It is a balance between urgency and thoroughness.

Have a look at the free Diagram of ISO 17025 Implementation Process https://info.advisera.com/17025academy/free-download/diagram-of-iso-17025-implementation-process

We also have a Free webinar – What are the steps in the ISO 17025 accreditation process? at https://advisera.com/17025academy/webinar/what-are-the-steps-in-the-iso-17025-accreditation-process-free-webinar-on-demand/

Other recommendations? I noticed that the site mentions familiarity training. Are you all an approved certified body for ISO17025 audits?"

The toolkit can be purchased with varying amount of support and review of documents. This you can use as part of your internal audits. Performing third-party audits is not within the scope of the ISO 17025 Academy. A Pre-audit check workshop (1-hour training on audit preparation) is available.

See the ISO 17025 toolkit at https://advisera.com/17025academy/iso-17025-documentation-toolkit/, in the Compare Toolkit Options Section for more detail.

0 0

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

May 27, 2020

May 28, 2020

Suggested Topics