In order to verify the internal auditors, they need to demonstrate competences for:
- understanding process approach and risk-based thinking
- understanding of customer specific requirements
- understanding of applicable ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 requirements
- understanding of the core tools, and
- understanding of the auditing techniques.
In order to demonstrate this, the auditors should provide some evidence in terms of experience and training they had on these topics. The training can be conducted by the organization itself, or by some external trainers. Basically, the training records can be sufficient to demonstrate competence. Also, all auditors need to be listed in a record about qualified internal auditors.