The main objectives of the environmental management system are to prevent pollution, meet compliance obligations and enhance conditions of the environment.
A systematic approach to environmental management can provide the organization with information to build success over the long term and create options for contributing to sustainable development by:
- protecting the environment by preventing or mitigating adverse environmental impacts;
- mitigating the potential adverse effect of environmental conditions on the organization;
- assisting the organization in the fulfilment of compliance obligations;
- enhancing environmental performance;
- controlling or influencing the way the organization’s products and services are designed,
manufactured, distributed, consumed and disposed by using a life cycle perspective that can
prevent environmental impacts from being unintentionally shifted elsewhere within the life cycle;
- achieving financial and operational benefits that can result from implementing environmentally
sound alternatives that strengthen the organization’s market position;
- communicating environmental information to relevant interested parties.