Expert Advice Community

Guest

RTO and MBCO and MTPOD - Business continuity concepts

  Quote
Guest
Guest user Created:   Feb 06, 2020 Last commented:   Feb 06, 2020

RTO and MBCO and MTPOD - Business continuity concepts

  1. What is the relation between RTO and MBCO and MTPOD?
  2. If my customer has 10 project people working, are looking for RTO of 3 Days, MBCO is 40% on Day 1, MBCO is 80 % on Day2, and MBCO is 100% on Day 3. MTPOD is 3 days. So, does that mean the RTO that I can mark as achieved during any simulation drill will be if I am able to provide 4(40% of 10) associate within 24 hours. 8 associate within 48 hours of crisis and all 10 associates within 72 hours of crisis.
0 0

Assign topic to the user

ISO 27001 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

ISO 27001 DOCUMENTATION TOOLKIT

Step-by-step implementation for smaller companies.

Expert
Rhand Leal Feb 06, 2020

What is the relation between RTO and MBCO and MTPOD?

Considering the definitions from ISO 22300 (which can be seen here - https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:22300:ed-2:v1:en):
- MBCO - minimum business continuity objective
- MTPD - maximum tolerable period of disruption
- RTO - recovery time objective

The MTPD refers to the maximum time business activities, in a given performance level, can be disrupted before the impact becomes unacceptable, RTO is the time defined as objective to recover business activities in defined performance levels, and the required performance levels during a disruption are defined by the MBCO.


MTDP is defined initially after the completion of the business impact analysis, while RTO is defined after you cross-examine MTPD between different interdependent activities - in some cases, RTO will remain the same as MTDP, and in some cases (where the related activity requires a quicker recovery) it will be lower. MBCO is defined based on the capacity that will be needed throughout time after the recovery.

If my customer has 10 project people working, are looking for RTO of 3 Days, MBCO is 40% on Day 1, MBCO is 80 % on Day2, and MBCO is 100% on Day 3. MTPOD is 3 days. So, does that mean the RTO that I can mark as achieved during any simulation drill will be if I am able to provide 4(40% of 10) associate within 24 hours. 8 associate within 48 hours of crisis and all 10 associates within 72 hours of crisis.

You can mark RTO as achieved if the recovery was made within the time defined by RTO, and if the MBCO for that timing was achieved as well. In your example, if your RTO is 3 days and MBCO is 100% within those 3 days, you need to achieve 100% capacity if you want to mark your RTO as achieved.

Quote
0 0
Guest
AST Feb 06, 2020

Thanks for reply. Just adding further one example, so to bring much more clarity.   If a customer says RTO of 12 hours, MBCO of 40% and MTPOD of 3 days for the project having 70 resources in Offshore and 30 resources at Onsite. Does that mean, the service provider has to ensure that in case of crisis at 11AM for this project, BCP invoked at 11AM. So, considering these timelines, they have to  a) provide 40% resource ( 40% of 100) from Offshore & Onsite b) within 12 hours i.e. before 11PM same day c) And ensure that the remaining 60% resources are provided with actual working by the end of 3 days ( MTPOD).

 

Quote
0 0

Comment as guest or Sign in

HTML tags are not allowed

Feb 06, 2020

Feb 06, 2020

Suggested Topics